Lakeside Speedway originally opened on April 17, 1955, at 92nd and Leavenworth Road in Kansas City, Kan. However, three deaths during the 1956 racing season forced its closure.
Five years later, Lakeside Speedway opened under new management in 1961 and continued at the Leavenworth Road location through 1988 when developers for The Woodlands dog & horse racing track purchased the property.
Lakeside Speedway then moved to its present location at 5615 Wolcott Drive in Kansas City, Kan. The move enabled not only construction of modern grandstands, suites and a press box, but also provided room for an adjacent campground for racing fans.
From 1989 to 1999, the track operated as a half-mile asphalt track. In 2000, Lakeside Speedway was again under new management and the racing surface was converted to a slightly-banked 3/8-mile dirt track, which continues to be the configuration today.
Don & Donna Marrs purchased the facility from Marc Olson in 2012, and will operate the famed facility again in 2015 for the third consecutive season.